Sesame and tofu is a amazing combo!
- 1 pkg SUPERIOR TOFU Organic Pressed Tofu or Extra Firm, cut into 6 slices
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup pure olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces mesclun (salad mix of assorted small, young salad green leaves. 10 loosely packed cups)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
Makes 3-4 servings
1. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce with the chives, ginger, sesame oil, garlic and shallot.
2. Spread the sesame seeds on a large plate. Press one side of each slice of tofu into the sesame seeds so the seeds adhere.
3. In a nonstick skillets, heat 2 tablespoons of the pure olive oil until shimmering. Add the tofu, coated side down, and cook over moderate heat until lightly golden, about 9 minutes. Carefully flip the tofu slices, pour the soy mixture between them and simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the sherry vinegar with the orange juice, lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the mesclun, mint and basil and toss to coat. Mound the salad in shallow bowls or on plates and scatter the tomatoes all around. Cut tofu into bite-sized cube and then transfer the tofu to the bowls and serve.